Monday, October 11, 2010

Celebration Time

This definitely calls for a celebration..It's October, any guess?
Halloween? Nope
My birthday? No, you are wrong.
Wedding anniversary..sorry wrong again
Think I only will have to crack it, my first blog anniversary...I am blogging for an year now, don't count the posts though. Planing to cut a cake. what you say. I don't want to bother you with my blog experience, as I barely have like my countable posts..But am not going to disappoint you, will share a recent episode from my household.
For me if someone says something it is always too easy. I am a disaster when it comes to baking. When I first saw oven at my place, thought, will treat myself with home made cookies, pastries, cakes..but it was not the case and the other day while talking to my sister, she gave me a cake recipe which was a huge hit at her house and workplace. It was so very simple and looked as if a dayein haath ka khel -  maida,egg and butter...no one on this earth could have made it wrong! Now I know that's just my my sister's version. I decided to give a try, why not? after all it's so simple.
The cake Batter came delicious and again as usual, thought well done is half done...Icing was even better..yes, I made the icing even b4 the cake was done...put the batter in the oven..everything was as per the instructions...baking time was literally killing me..was waiting to put the icing on the cake and then I had to make a caramelized walnut topping also for that extra crunchiness..hmmm. While cake was getting baked, I was thinking of all the praises I was going to get as my big sis told..20 minutes were gone and I ran to oven to see my fluffy cake. Alas! what to say there was something which did not even look like the neanderthal version of a cake. Somewhere something went wrong. The output - an utter disaster..And my icing..my caramelized walnuts.. And the first reaction, how come I dint get it right if my sister can, dint think she is an expert cook now , all credits to my nephew who is the inspiration behind.
Thought what could have gone wrong, suddenly I remembered my sis saying after beating the batter well it should be like silver ribbons falling ..or something of that sort..Yes, I made the batter again repeated the whole process..this time little more anxious waited for the cake to be ready..but dint came well.. All despaired..heartbroken.. Called her, but hit voice mail, mailed her, tried gtalk, messenger, but could not get her. The net outcome that day was, I wasted good amount of flour, eggs, and butter too. The Icing I made was my only consolation. Finished it without even thinking it was full of butter and cream..Dint even show my "ahem" masterpiece to anyone.
But I am not yet done guys.. I have already asked for a detailed recipe and the whole process from my sis and she has mailed me...I am going to try out this again and again till it becomes a huge success... Will let you know pretty soon. Planing to make it these days. If successful will upload a snap.

bye for now. take care

1 comment: