Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hobbies- Down the lane

I was in ninth or tenth, when I first read a book seriously - War and peace. Got it from my cousin's place when I decided to take reading as the new hobby. Only books known to me before that were by certain Enid Blyton and some famous five's. Then I and my best friend joined public library during one vacation as we thought that will give us ample time for all the girly gupshups as it was around 15-20 minute walk from our houses. Initially it was just a meeting place. Then one day we started reading, the transition from Nancy Drews and Hardy boys were gradual. But I started liking books from there and still likes and cant sit quiet if I cannot turn at least few pages.
But before that the case was different. Zillions of collections, tried hard to have one hobby as it was a definite question for language classes. 'Vala-pottu collection' when I was six or seven years old, then this  Stamp and coin collection from my papa. I tried my hands in production too following the common belief in LP school. I started collecting the lead and debris of the pencils we get while sharpening. Weird? but that was to make eraser..yeah, in an eco friendly manner.[Method: You just have to mix the pencil debris and eraser crumbles and add little milk or water to it and keep it in  a container of your choice and dig it deep inside the soil and wait for 3-4 weeks.. An eraser of your choice is ready. Try your luck. You never know, lot of my seniors at school had struck gold with this. At least that is what they were claiming at that point of time] I and my sister actually tried that at our home a couple of times, making mummy shout at us. Poor dear, house was  messy due to this pencil debris everywhere. By the time I was in fifth, it was painting and I started painting whatever I could and pasted it all over my room. But soon my art gallery was looted, when my parents considered it was high time to paint our house. My precious paintings were kept somewhere and in course of time all went missing. Result - 'tathatsu' to painting. Likewise I kept changing my hobbies and finally kind of settled at reading. Since I wrote this much, let me  take this opportunity to say that I have tried my luck at dancing and music too. Dance was a passion more than a hobby, but somehow I stopped that in-between which I regret now. And  the occasional compliments I get while humming a song, makes me curse my laziness because of which I stopped going for music classes.
And these days...well, If you can say watching TV, surfing net, occasionally trying out dishes in kitchen as hobbies, then it is still evolving...

1 comment:

  1. Dance was ur "passion"....One year together and I've never ever seen u dance...but well, you are VERY lazy, so..... :)

    ReplyDelete